Saturday, June 5, 2010

#238: Can’t Buy A Thrill- Steely Dan

Listened to: MP3

Say what you will about Steely Dan (Lord knows Nick and I did back in our second day of reviewing), but they have good sources for things. Their name comes from a Borroughs book, and this album’s title comes from a Bob Dylan song. I really do want to like them, and maybe, just maybe, I will. Let’s see. So, without further ado, let’s give Steely Dan a second chance.
Let’s just get it out right off the bat: The Steely Dan songs you know are on this album (besides maybe Home At Last, but that‘s only if you‘re me, my guitarist, or those guys we played with that one night). “Do It Again” opens the album, and even if you’re not a huge fan (which I’m not) you’ve got to admit this is a good song. The pitch-shifting organ, the laid-back beat, he fact that it sounds like the instrumental break-down part of “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’” by The Rolling Stones, and…god damn, is that a sitar? I think that every time I hear this. That’s kinda badass.

“Dirty Work” takes on a lilting quality, a really gentle vibe that feels like a track off of the Godspell soundtrack. “Kings” is where you start to get an idea of what makes Steely Dan good enjoyable. It’s not the laid-back vibe (which could at times put one to sleep) but those harmonies. They’re so rich, so serene, and have such a relaxed power behind them, you can’t help but find some minor appeal. “Midnite Cruiser” is a chill, nice enough track, as is “Only A Fool Would Say That”. Let’s face it, none of these songs are my cup of tea. I also can’t stand a track the rest of my band loves, the popular Steely Dan staple, “Reelin’ In The Years”.It’s all too relaxed and sterile for my tastes, but for relaxed and sterile music, I can’t deny it it’s quality. These are talented composers and musicians, just doing something I don’t enjoy.

“Fire In The Hole” is by far the most mellow track, and definitely lacking in the harmonies, and therefore the quality for me. “Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)” takes on a bit more of a southern rock vibe (I did say a bit, not much) with the use of the slide guitar, which makes it a hair more enjoyable. Plus, once the harmonies come back in, I’m made a little bit of a happy camper. “Change of the Guard”’s mere organ sound makes it come off as cheesy, and I kinda hate the sound of the vocals. The guitar playing is enjoyable, and for what the music is, it’s quality. Just not my type of music.

The album ends on “Turn That Heartbeat Over Again” which is an enjoyable enough track, and a decent closer to what, to me, is a decent album. If you like Steely Dan’s style, it’s worth listening to. It is a great album for their kind of music. I wasn’t a fan, but it’s not like Pretzel Logic, which has no place on his list. This deserves to be on there (but much lower). It’s just not my dig.

-Mike

Next up, something that truly is my dig. #441: Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment