Tuesday, August 24, 2010

#318: Back Stabbers- The O’Jays

Listened to: MP3I am unashamed to admit that before writing this, the only song I was familiar with on this album was “Love Train”, but Back Stabbers is considered to be the quintessential Philly soul album, and since this list has been a godsend when it comes to finding good music in genres I’m not too well acquainted with (soul, R&B, etc.), so I looked forward to giving The O’Jays a whirl. The album opens on “When The World’s At Peace”, a spirited, funky opener that takes no time setting the tone or the album, with full, rich instrumentation and a fantastic stereo mix (you really notice it on this album). I find myself looking at the run time of the track and being thankful it’s over 5 minutes long. For those of you listening while reading, don’t dare try saying you’re not dancing even a little bit to this track. I love the way the track fades out at the end, with that echo. The second track, the title one, keeps the rich, full feel from before, with a full orchestra and a vibe that makes it feel like it belongs on the Shaft soundtrack. It’s got a groove that’s unavoidable, and as I say that, I realize the whole album does, whether it be the slow, soulful “Who Am I” or the upbeat dance groove of “Love Train”, Back Stabbers truly is as spirited and full of life a soul album as you can get. I’m amazed at how rich and full the album feels. Certain parts just send shivers down your spine. I mean it when I call this album a masterpiece of producing, if nothing else. Definitely give it a listen.

-Mike

Next up, #94: Bitches Brew by the legendary Miles Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment