Sunday, March 21, 2010

#445: Rum, Sodomy, And The Lash- The Pogues

Listened to: MP3

If you think I’m going track by track on this, you’re out of your minds. I don’t know shit about Irish mythology, which is what some of these songs come from. Instead, I’ll just let you drunk bastards enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day with an album full of the finest Irish music ever recorded by an Irish group in the 80’s. Except U2. And whatever the hell Glen Hansard was doing then. Ok, anyway, Let me just clarify by saying I wasn’t familiar with Shane McGowan’s work other than “Fairytale of New York” with Kirsty MacColl, before today, but every track on this album is so fun and bouncy that you think you’re watching The Departed. I would love to go on a full-scale rant review about how well this album integrate both punk and folk sensibilities, and how the Pogues opened the floodgates for hard Irish music in America, but I know you guys would sooner get to your Guinness. So just promise me you’ll pop this disc on while you drink. You won’t regret it.

-Mike

See you guys tomorrow for #74: Otis Blue- Otis Redding.

No comments:

Post a Comment