Saturday, March 6, 2010

#473: A Rush Of Blood to The Head- Coldplay

Listened to: CD



I still don’t get why all these people bitch about Coldplay. I am totally unashamed of the fact that I like them, and if you don’t, well f*ck off. What’s the difference between them and Radiohead besides radio play and pretension? Not a whole hell of a lot. Oh, did I just commit blasphemy? Did I lose my “indie” cred? Well, if so, thank christ. So, let’s get to the matter at hand, A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

First off, the album cover has become virtually iconic, and our children may never understand how virtually inescapable this album was. “Clocks” was pretty much in every movie trailer, the video for “The Scientist” became so over-played they parodied it on MadTV, and “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” was scrawled on almost every middle school girl’s notebook. With all this, it’s hard to set that aside and recognize that this continues to be a fantastic album.

Compositionally set-off by the September 11th attacks, Martin really comes into his own on this album, and it shows. I’m sure most of you have already dismissed Coldplay, but I encourage you to give this album a spin, and open your minds. You’ll find you like it more than you’d like to admit. From start to finish a classic. Plus a postage stamp.

-Mike

Tomorrow is #147: Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology. Should be a god damn treat, what with the oh so little attention RS gives Otis on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment