Sunday, February 14, 2010

#115: Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs- Derek & The Dominoes

Listened to: CD

In honor of the holiday, I decided to pick one of the greatest albums of love songs ever recorded, from one of the finest bands assembled (my guitarist once declared them “the greatest band ever”). Eric Clapton’s 1970 group put out a classic blues-rock album featuring some of the best rock love songs ever, including “Bell Bottom Blues”, “why does Love Got To Be So Sad?”, “Tell The Truth”, and the best I’m-nailing-my-best-friend’s-wife song ever written, “Layla”. Every track on this album is brilliant, and were I not on my way to play some of those songs, I’d have a lot more to say. But without a doubt, this album in a masterpiece. I hope to have my guitarist come on and give a better review than I did. I apologize, but I simply can’t think while this album is on. I get too absorbed in every crevice of perfection. Hell, even when Clapton’s voice cracks, it’s fantastic.

-Mike

See you tomorrow for #262: Workingman’s Dead by The Grateful Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment