Saturday, February 20, 2010

#262: Workingman’s Dead- The Grateful Dead

Bit of a crisis when I found out my computer was not, in fact, posting this week. Worse was that I didn't save this entry. So, you're getting Monday-Friday today. Fun, huh? I'm using a non-suck computer, but I still have to grab the files off mine. While you wait for the rest, please enjoy my ridiculously brief review of Workingman's Dead (I'm super-pissed I had to redo it).


Listened to: CD



This review is gonna be short, because I already typed one once, it was two pages, and it got deleted. My computer decided to be a dick. So, long story short, this album is only good for “Uncle John’s Band” and “Casey Jones”, and that’s only if you’re reeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy into mellow music. This album is nothing special. And I don’t mind The Dead. I had an ex who adored them, and they were truly a great live band. Recorded? Not so much. The album is draggy, dreary, and a waste of time. Like I said, I was more eloquent about it before, but I’m tired and busy. So, yeah, screw this album. How can you put this unmoving, ineffectual bore on this list, and ignore something like Dave Brubeck?


Would Replace With: Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet


Time Out is a revolutionary album. It’s use of unique time signatures brought jazz into a new era and to a new audience. Hell, this album beat out Workingman’s Dead for a spot on the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame’s 200 Greatest Album’s list. Get with the (not terribly recent) times, Rolling Stone. Now, again, Dave Brubeck got a better defense in my last essay, but now I’m tired, irritated, and flat out enraged, so just listen to the album and see for yourselves. It’s a fucking masterpiece.



-Mike



Tomorrow is #480: Faith by George Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment